Saturday, October 11, 2008

We Interrupt This Blog

currently listening: My Eyes, from the Doctor Horrible soundtrack

Speaking of things involving Sherlock Holmes that give me mixed feelings, we have the new Sherlock Holmes movie.

I mean really, the phrase "new big budget action movie" just doesn't belong next to "faithful to Arthur Conan Doyle's original stories." Call me an old-fashioned girl, but I enjoy (and own) many of the black and white Basil Rathbone movies. Sarah, for her part, did not appreciate my making her sit through Dressed to Kill, but that's a she problem, not a me problem.

In any case, the recently-revived RUSS-L mailing list sent me a link to some photos from the Robert Downey, Jr. movie -- hot Holmes photos here.

Yep, looks as though this article was right on:
Downey Jnr said his received pronunciation was just fine and that he would be drawing on his experiences filming Chaplin, for which he was nominated for an Oscar, to create a believably British character. His Holmes, he said, would focus less on the repressed English side of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's character, and more on his status as "a bohemian" and "a patriot".

So, my thoughts? In order of appearance:
1) Mr. Downey is incredibly easy on the eyes, as usual.
2) I will assume "Holmes" is in disguise there, because WHAT IS HE WEARING.
3) Sherlock Holmes should not look that good. Honestly, now. I grew up reading the books with the Sidney Paget illustrations, and his is not an attractive Holmes.
4) I can't wait for this movie to come out so I have an excuse to be a complete geek and pull out all my Holmes sources. Also, I hope it will be fun to watch.

No comments: