Monday, April 18, 2011

Krull

A prince and a fellowship of companions set out to rescue his bride from a fortress of alien invaders who have arrived on their home planet.
I finally watched Krull last night (in my defense... I have no defense). It was surprising in many ways - the opening scene and special effects clearly think they're actually in the original Star Wars trilogy, but most of rest of it is standard fantasy fare. Also, for every groan-worthy scene, there's a plot point that I actually found intriguing:
  1. A race of cyclops created when they gave up one eye in exchange for foresight. They were tricked; the only future event they can actually see is their own death. (I would seriously like to read a short story based on this.)
  2. Fire mares are the fastest creatures ever and leave trails of smoke in their fiery wake. (haha, what.)
  3. The science teacher from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory makes an appearance as the short sidekick who can turn himself into various animals for laughs and eventual saving-of-the-random-child-character. (Fun character).
  4. The Power of Love at the end. (One of many, many tropes in the movie.)
In a general sense it was a watchable enough movie, and had some fun elements; I'm glad to have seen it, but I doubt I'll watch it again.

No comments: