Sunday, January 24, 2010

Three semesters of Latin, for this

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke
My brother and I got new phones for Christmas, and I upgraded our shared cell phone plan at the same time. More minutes, free texts, blah blah blah, plus free photo messaging. Which I completely did not see the need for at the time. Until:

Last night, we were celebrating my grandmother's 72nd birthday when someone mentioned how sad it was that Alek couldn't be there.

Time spent snapping a quick shot of Gigi before she could blow out the candles on her cake and texting it to my brother: 10 seconds

Time spent geeking out over how I just sent a photograph halfway across the country using the magic of technology: 5 minutes

Time spent getting ribbed about it by the rest of the family: the entire evening

I'm also loving the free texts. My brother and I had a rather hilarious pun fight going yesterday. I won, as I often do, by breaking out the faux Latin. I think the setup was something about Merlin's cell phone plan - text quandam textque futurus: the once and future text

No comments: