Friday, September 24, 2010

Interesting Post

Over at Big Fat Deal: Women Can Only Eat in Movies if They Look Like They Don't.

Which, despite the number of movies I watch, is not something I'd noticed about the average Hollywood movie.

Granted, I rarely see people truly eat in movies and television as a general rule, which I imagine is because it's hard to take someone seriously while they're scarfing down pasta. But on the other hand, the blogger raises a good point:

When did you last see a fat woman eating in a movie when it wasn’t a fat joke? Even in Shallow Hal (which I watched recently… so close and yet, so fucking far) when they show the fat character eating, it’s Gwyneth Paltrow not Gwyneth-In-A-Fat-Suit-Paltrow. How are we ever supposed to get over the idea of body shame when the very idea of us nourishing our bodies is clearly revolting to the rest of the world?

No comments: